Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Try Me Tuesday with MCT

I have two posts up today. Click the home tab and scroll below to see another embossing paste project!

Welcome to another new feature this year with the My Creative Time Design Team. Every other Tuesday we'll be sharing a different technique. Hopefully there will be something new for you to try in addition to techniques you may already have mastered. This week, we are sharing dry embossing.

Typically, dry embossing is done using embossing folders, i.e. Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Tim Holtz, Quickutz, etc. But today I'm going to share one way you can make your own dry embossed designs using your dies!

It's not hard to do and you probably have everything you need on hand. Here is my finished card.

I used the technique on the hearts and red band, as well as the lettering.

Here's how I did it. I used two sizes circles, a heart, and the letters , i lve u, from the Fun Alphabet Lower Case dies by My Creative Time, as well as the middle size of the stitched layering hearts also by MCT. I used a graham cracker box for the chipboard.

Cut two for each shape or letter, gluing them together to make a thicker piece, and place each on post-it tape, or washi tape - painter's tape works too - anything that is safe-release, in the design you want to emboss.

Tape the shapes onto the piece you are going to emboss and run through your machine using a rubber embossing mat and embossing plate; whichever configuration works in your machine.

It will come out looking like this.

As you can see, I ended up doing the embossing directly onto the front of my card instead of using this red cardstock piece. Instead I chose to do the small red band below the message. Once I finished making my embellishment and adding the red band, I added a pretty rub on border along the bottom. I've had this pack of Basic Grey rub ons  in my stash forever and thought it was the perfect touch to this card.

Thanks for coming by today. I hope this technique is one you'll try with your own dies. It's easy and fun and with your dies you have endless possibilities!!!

Products:
My Creative Time, Fun Alphabet dies, lower case
My Creative Time, Stitched Sweetheart dies
My Creative Time, Stitched Doily die
My Creative Time, Rolled Flower die
My Creative Time, Stitched Circle die
My Creative Time, Stitched Layering hearts die
Basic Grey border rub on, cracker box (chipboard), black twine, small scrap of lace, stick-on pearl, easy release tape

15 comments:

  1. Your card is gorgeous and my gosh girl aren't you the creative and clever one!!
    Love your embossing ideas and technique and love how you used all of Miss Emma's goodies. WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous card Shar! Love the embossing technique you used!!
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Shar!!! I love your embossing tips!!!

    Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, love the flowers. Great embossing tips!! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job! Love your embossing technique ~ will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed those embossed letters right away. Thanks for your tutorial and lovely design. Great way to make homemade embossing templates and stencils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this card Shar - very pretty. Love the embossing technique too; I'm going to try that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty card,Thank you for the tutorial, It gave me some fun ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty cool! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shar ~ First of all BEAUTIFUL card! LOVE all the details and color choices but that embossing ~ OMG!!!! What a FABULOUS and creative idea! I am so stealing this idea!! LURV it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful card! How fun to use the letters for embossing...we can use so many things for dry embossing. Super job!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK that's COOL!! Love how you embossed the words ♥♥ Beautiful card as usual!! Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a gorgeous card, Shar!! Just stunning!! Thanks for walking us thru all the details!! You are SO talented & creative!

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar