Tuesday, November 27, 2012

You, too, can make flowers

Today is a repeat post due to popular request. I love love love making flowers and really, it's not difficult to do, and they are fun to make. All you need is a circle! If you have scissors and paper, you're practically done already. LOL! Let's get started:

Cut your shapes - circle, scallop or both. Whatever size you want. I used the Scallop and Stitched Circle Dies by My Creative Time. These are approximately 1 1/2 inches across.

Cut each shape into a spiral leaving a circle center on which you'll secure your finished flower.

I have these curved jewelers tweezers that I picked up in the $1 tool bin at the fair many years ago. These things are a staple in my crafty tool arsenal, let me tell ya!! Best buck I ever spent. ;) Ok, now beginning at the outside where you first made your cut, roll the paper with the right side (the side you want to see when it's finished) to the inside - NOT as I have done here - I had to re-roll this one after I took the pic. Oops

Now that your flower is rolled, let loose of it and let it 'relax'. It will open a bit and you can manipulate it to the size and tightness you want before gluing. I recommend hot glue for flower making. You'll put a small glob of glue on the center circle portion and press the flower into the glue. 

 Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! At this point you can leave it as is and add leaves or you can roll the petals outward, ink the edges, or even add beads to the center.

Do the exact same thing with the plain circle, leaving a circle at the center for gluing.

Roll it up, let it relax, manipulate the size and shape, and glue down. (See my other flower in white? That's the one I re-rolled the other way so the pretty side of my paper would show. LOL)

And here are the finished flowers. Who would guess they started out as flat circle shapes!

Thanks for coming by. Be sure to watch here and on facebook for the upcoming 12 Days of Christmas with My Creative Time. If you're looking for gift or decor ideas, card designs or anything crafty for the holidays, you won't want to miss all the inspiration we have to share with you. :) AND prizes and giveaways too, of course!

9 comments:

  1. I love and have used this method of yours for making these little flowers. Thanks for sharing this clever idea.
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tutorial! I use the same method for my rolled flowers. The difference: Mine are just flowers; yours are always GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tutorial Shar! I make flowers like this too, but I never thought of using Emma's dies. DOH!

    Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shar ~ LOVE the tutorial!!! I really need to try this out soon!! You know how I LOVE your flowers!!! BEAUTIFULLY done ALWAYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and such a great tutorial now I know I have some way to make flowers since I don't have the flower dies!! This is awesome!
    Deb C
    bugjuiced

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL job with your sweet little flowers Shar!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I love these!!! AWESOME JOB Miss Shar!!!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh miss Shar!!! I cant even thank you enough for sharing this...i NEVER EVER thought of doing this....AWESOME!!!

    hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar