Sunday, September 01, 2013

Wickedly scary makeover!

So I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years and finally I actually did it. I LOVE how this project turned out!! I was so excited to get them done I completely forgot to take before pictures. Sigh. They were actually pretty nondescript, but if I were to do this again I would have chosen books with a little more wear. I picked up all three books at the thrift store on 50% off everything in the store day, for a grand total of 75¢ -- what a bonus!!!!!

Before covering the books, I sanded all around the edges of the cover to make them look more worn. I then used my Tim Holtz Distress Stain, Black Soot, all around the pages (which doesn't even show in the photos - oh well). If your page edges are already a dark color, you wouldn't need to do this step. Then I covered them using a 12x12 Halloween paper pad I've had for several years, Halloween Scary Sparkles by My Mind's Eye. Again, I sanded all the edges, and this time inked them using walnut stain distress ink so they look used and dirty.

I decided on what titles I wanted to use, designed them with fun fonts in word, and printed them onto binding strips cut to size for each book. If I had been thinking a little farther ahead, I would have printed them directly onto the separate piece that goes around the binding when doing the cover, but I got ahead of myself.


After I printed the titles, I dirtied them up with ink before applying to the book. Then I made labels in matching fonts for the fronts of the books. I couldn't decide which I liked best, so I'll just post all three of them so you can see for yourself.


 I LOVE the Spellbinders label dies for the titles.

 This just might be my favorite but I love them all!!

If you'd like to try this yourself, check out this link I shared on my Halloween and Fall Pinterest board. Thanks for coming by on this holiday weekend!

Product List:
Thrift Store books
Halloween paper
Label dies
Sand paper
Ink

2 comments:

  1. The book makeover is a great idea. I like the cute scary scene they make with the skull and cloth. Great job!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar