Saturday, January 09, 2010

QuicKutz

Next release is January 19. But for us on the west coast, that means 9 p.m. on the 18th!! This will be the last of the large releases, I've heard. Beginning next month, there will be fewer dies in each new release. I'm sure a lot of us won't mind too terribly as this will mean a smaller dent in the wallet on release day. LOL

On the other hand, I'm a tad bit concerned after hearing the news of the latest lawsuit against QK brought about by Spellbinders. I still am not sure how SP can even have a suit, but I'm not a lawyer either, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. Apparently, Spellbinders feels QK has infringed on their nesting dies idea or a patent of some kind. Frankly, I don't see how anyone can own a patent on a circle or square or any other shape for that matter, but what do I know.

In the meantime, QK is also dealing with the backlash of the, IMO, too-soon released EpicSix that has been taking a beating like a red-headed step-child. {No flames please, it's just an expression, ok.} I, myself, purchased the EpicSix when it first came out, and quite honestly, I was not at all impressed. IMO, they didn't do nearly enough testing before marketing this machine as the problems are not only wide-reaching, but also very inconsistent from machine to machine. Some of them cut fine (though very few from what I've heard), but most of them were either too tight or too loose. My machine works fine if I cover the platform with cardstock (which I just leave taped in place) and then cut as usual but some were not so easily revamped. Regardless, like everyone else who had a defective machine, I applied for a replacement. I received the "new and improved" EpicSix and boy what a disappointment.

Now, you all know how much I love QK--they are a wonderful company, the best customer service I've ever received, and they really have tried to make this right for their customers. That said, however, I was so completely disappointed in the new machine I sold it immediately. After two test cuts with thin paper, the mat warped so terribly I couldn't imagine using it even half as much as I used the Revolution as I would go through at least a few cuttings mats every day! It was so tight I didn't even want to run cardstock through it much less the chipboard that was made specifically for use in this machine for fear of breaking it. I know I have been spoiled by the Revolution and it's a real shame they weren't able to get the rights to manufacture a larger version of it. Can you imagine how wonderful a 6-inch wide Revolution would be. That would have been a dream come true. Instead we got the EpicSix. Sigh.

On top of that, since the Revolution is no longer manufactured, anyone who needs to take advantage of the lifetime warranty on their Revolution should it break, will now be offered, in lieu of a replacement Rev, the EpicSix at 50% off. Not only will they not receive replacement parts or a replacement machine, they'll have to pay for a machine that has already been labeled inferior {and worse!} by those who have already purchased one. Ouch.

I have a second Revolution in the closet for backup. Yes, I'm a junkie, I admit it. The gears in my first one finally broke (it was a real workhorse for me and as much as I used it, I was surprised it lasted so long!) so I bought a replacement. Then I freaked when I heard they would be discontinued and snagged another for a song just to have for security. ;) I'm good for a while now.

19 comments:

  1. Once I had ALMOST purchased a backup Revolution- then I heard about the EPIC and decided to wait- so sorry I did. Hopefully one day I'll find it again and get my backup too.
    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about getting a backup too... not too impressed by the epic. Waiting on my replacement, but that might be a disappointment too from what I hear...
    Anyone has a spare rev that they want to sell... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with the Revolution. Then QK came out with the LE Santa's Workshop. Oh my, loved the Gingerbread set. Santa brought me the Epic & the most wanted Gingerbread set. Like you, the "thin" mat warped immediately. Ran a album die thru & it warped the spine part...you should have seen what it did to the Bazzill paper! Called QK & they said they'd send out a new mat. In my gut, I feel there is way too much pressure for the machine. I do own a Big Shot & have ordered the extended mats & essential platform as they should accomodate the cookie cutter dies. My Epic will be returned & I hope someone will cover the postage! This is a huge disappointment for me. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye - I now own the BigShot as well. I feel almost disloyal to QK having it, but it's SOOOO much better than the Epic. I do have the extended platform and cutting mats and it works beautifully with the Santa's Workshop albums and Gingerbread set -- it's awesome and it does accommodate all the larger sized cookie cutters. The 4x8 alphabets fit in the BS on the regular cutting mat too, which is a nice bonus as well.

    So sorry you had a crappy experience with the Epic. You are definitely not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shar, I love Quickutz too. I still don't understand why they can't keep the parts for the Revolution. I am now kicking myself for not buying a backup right before Christmas. I have no desire whatsoever to purchase the Epic -- too many people have complained about it! I have been looking at the BigShot -- How many extra pieces do you need to purchase to use QK dies in it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheryl, as I understand it, the company that designed and manufactured the Revolution for QK evidently didn't want to sell the rights to QK so that QK could have the machines manufactured elsewhere. I believe, but not 100% sure, the company that owns the design is the company that brought a lawsuit against QK last year regarding a separate issue, but the suit was ultimately dropped.

    To use the large cc and border dies in the BigShot, you'll need to purchase separately the extended adapter, extended cutting mat set and extended platform (which I believe they call the Essentials Platform). You use these in place of all the other parts that come with the BS when cutting the borders and larger dies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that I decided to wait for the 12in Epic. With all the problems I am not getting the 12 in either.

    I have the BS and extended plates and 2 Rev. with plates, but sadly no gears. I am actively trying to find generic gears to purchase. They have to be out there somewhere. Will let you know if I find them.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I will eagerly wait to hear if you find the elusive gears. There has to be something out there that will work. Good luck in your search!! I hope it doesn't take too long so you can get your Rev back in working order again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you it is so refreshing to hear someone give an honest review. I wondered how the EpicSix would compare to the Bighot and obviously not well. Do you know if the new letterpress works in the BS?
    Thank you again for keeping us all informed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Letterpress - YES It does work with the BigShot! That said, however, I had the opportunity to use the Letterpress at the QK retreat in Utah back in October. I was totally NOT impressed. It's messy, hard to work with, difficult to clean (I would hate to think how many of the cleaning clothes aka baby wipes would be required if doing a large project as you have to clean after every few passes) and the ink has a horribly stinky odor. Not to mention all the inks and papers required are special purchase, not just any ink or paper. Wish I could give a more positive review. I will say this, the end result (after some trial and error) can be really stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shar! I did have had a Cuttlebug forever and a Rev too. I only use my Rev when I'm cutting borders as it's easier. I passed, thankfully, on the Epic myself. I was working in our convention booth last August and sold 5 and felt soooo guilty!!! That's bad, I know. I love my Bug but need something larger so I just ordered the Big Shot Pro and should have it soon...it has shipped from the mfg. Yeah! Thanks for your honesty about your experiences and for your opinions! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am glad i held out and did not buy the Epic. QK i know will try and do the right thing, but there are so many wrongs with the epic. i also love my Rev. and will just use it til it dies then i will get the Big Shot. I just take it easy on my Rev and have xtra cutting mats to keep it going. thanks for your review Shar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another unhappy Epic failure owner here. I got the replacement from QK and sold it plus gave my original away and bought a Big Shot. I LOVE IT!! It cuts so much better than the Epic. I still LOVE my Rev and have 3,I also grabbed a few extra's when they dropped to 25.00.
    QK really blew it and now you can't even get the cutting mats for the Rev either. I'm one VERY disappointed QK customer :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize there were so many problems with the Epic 6. I have one and thought maybe it was me! Operator Error!
    I am kicking myself for not getting a revolution!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Today my Sizzix platform/adapter arrived for the Big Shot & after placing the CC dies in that machine, there is no doubt in my mind that the Big Shot is a much better machine. My Epic is going to be returned. Now Quickutz did send the new replacement mat & it did make the cutting better but it's not perfect. I am still a loyal Quickutz customer & will continue to purchase their dies. This latest release is different...saving me money.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopped by because of your Revolution comments but saw your slideshow. I want to know about your wire cube shelves that you have your paints stored in. Where did you find them? I'm looking for something just like the cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Stopped by because of your Revolution comments but saw your slideshow. I want to know about your wire cube shelves that you have your paints stored in. Where did you find them? I'm looking for something just like the cubes."

    Mary- If you come back and read this, please email me so I can give you the scoop on the paint rack. I have no way to contact you. Thanks. scrapendipity@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shar,
    I found your blog when looking for info on the big shot. I am a hard core QK user but like everyone else I refused to buy the epic. I host crop parties and I am too protective of my revolutions to let everyone keep using them. Thanks to your blog I purchased a big shot and love it. Anyway I hope everyone that commented here will see this because I just bought replacement gears for the rev!!! Even though I don't need them yet, I'm prepared. I got them from my LSS but was told that Lifestyle crafts put out an email about them. I can't find them at their sight but they are out there somewhere. I paid 10.99 for a set with instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S. I'm sure everyone knows by now but Lifestyle crafts has also rereleased the Revolution for a short time. I hope this helps my fellow Quickutz junkies!

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar