Saturday, March 30, 2024

Colored the eggs today

Happy Easter Eve!

I always try to find a new and different way to color my Easter eggs every year. Sometimes I don't find something new, but most of the time I do. This year I decided to 'copy' the gorgeous eggs in the wreath I posted below and I am so happy with how they turned out! It took a bit of prep in my head though, you know how you think it all through and decide how to approach the project you have in mind. Well, it was worth the thought process and I think it's a winner. What do you think?!

First thing I want to share is to make sure your eggs are at room temperature. I had mine in the fridge and didn't wait for them to warm up - they took FOREVER to dry the first time because of the condensation. What can I say, I want it now! LOL

Chalkboard paint (I used Prima brand) is quite thick and can be thinned with water if you need to. I might not have had to do that if I had waited, but I did thin it and it was fine for a first coat. I applied it just with my hands using latex gloves, then washed them under the tap for the next coats. 

I didn't have chalk paint in the eggshell color I wanted, but I did have this acrylic paint in antique white and that turned out to be the perfect color. Again, applied with my hands in the gloves. So much easier to get a better coat after they warmed up. 
After a couple of coats of paint (the blue could have used another coat, but as I said, I'm kind of an impatient crafter, and the shells are coming off anyway so I pushed on) I added the speckles. 


I love that they turned out so well!!! 
And look how cute in the basket next to the pretend eggs in my tiered tray table decor!
My inspiration. The wreath with the faux speckled eggs. Love!

Supplies:
Latex gloves
Non-toxic paints - I used chalkboard paint in Egg Blue and acrylic paint in Antique White
Ink or paint for the splatters - I used Distress Oxide refill ink in Ground Espresso
Brush for applying the splatter - I used an old toothbrush, but will use an actual splatter brush next time
Prepare your surface - I covered my worktop with parchment paper and it worked great

2 comments:

  1. I love them - you have patience to do that many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this and it turned out so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar