Before covering the books, I sanded all around the edges of the cover to make them look more worn. I then used my Tim Holtz Distress Stain, Black Soot, all around the pages (which doesn't even show in the photos - oh well). If your page edges are already a dark color, you wouldn't need to do this step. Then I covered them using a 12x12 Halloween paper pad I've had for several years, Halloween Scary Sparkles by My Mind's Eye. Again, I sanded all the edges, and this time inked them using walnut stain distress ink so they look used and dirty.
I decided on what titles I wanted to use, designed them with fun fonts in word, and printed them onto binding strips cut to size for each book. If I had been thinking a little farther ahead, I would have printed them directly onto the separate piece that goes around the binding when doing the cover, but I got ahead of myself.
After I printed the titles, I dirtied them up with ink before applying to the book. Then I made labels in matching fonts for the fronts of the books. I couldn't decide which I liked best, so I'll just post all three of them so you can see for yourself.
This just might be my favorite but I love them all!!
If you'd like to try this yourself, check out this link I shared on my Halloween and Fall Pinterest board. Thanks for coming by on this holiday weekend!
Thrift Store books