Thursday, September 13, 2012

Whooo loves recycling????

I do, that's WHOO!!! Today I'm going to show you how to make a super cute Owl treat container from an empty toilet paper tube and a few die cuts. Isn't he a HOOT!?



First you'll need the tubes and a piece of paper 5x6 inches to cover each one.

I forgot to get a picture of tucking the ends to the inside so I'll borrow this one from the 4th of July firecracker project I did. Same process, do this on both ends of the tube. Make four slits evenly spaced around the top of the tube. Add adhesive and fold paper to the inside.

 You'll use this cutting technique on one end of the owl tube to make a flat bottom on which it will stand. Again four slits evenly spaced, about 1 inch long. Fold them overlapping like you would do to close a cardboard box. You can hot glue this closed if you like, or not. Matter of preference.

On the open end, fold the two sides toward each other until they meet in the middle and press down in the center.


All that is left now is to decorate! You can use sharpies and hand doodle your designs {this would be a great place for the kids to take over!} or use punches or dies, as I did, for making the eyes, feet, beak, wings, etc.

Make a couple thousand of them. Decorate as you wish. Fill with goodies and fly over town throwing them from a helicopter. Ok, ok, I'm kidding about the thousand and the helicopter. But have fun! These would be great favors for a classroom party or Halloween get together!

Product List:
Empty toilet paper rolls
Various pattern papers and adhesive
Dies or punches; I used ovals and circles
Sharpies or crayons
Googly eyes if you wish; I just used a sharpie
My Creative Time All Around Halloween and Treats for my Sweet stamp sets
My Creative Time leaf, tags and banner kit dies



6 comments:

  1. Love 'em!!

    Grandma Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shar ~ OMG! These are simply ADORABLE!!! I LOVE the way you used those rolls! AWSOME picture tutorial too! I have to keep this in mind!! I LOVE them!! Well I need to save up enough rolls, make these CUTIES and rent my helicopter! LOVE that idea! Wouldn't that be fun to do ~ as long as there isn't real heavy candy in them! Well maybe it would be funny as long as someone didn't get seriously hurt! LOL!
    ADORABLE project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative and ADORABLE! I love these SO much. Terrific idea and thanks for sharing the step by step instructions. Hugs - Glora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this stamp set. It is perfect for the Teddy Bear Parade. TFS
    czthleenapayne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar