Wednesday, September 26, 2012

3D Wednesday - Photo display

Hey guess what.....today is Hump Day!! But it's also 3D Wednesday with the My Creative Time Design Team! I think this might be my favorite new feature. I love making 3D projects. Today I'm sharing these adorable individual photo displays. These are perfect for a desktop or anyplace you want to share special photos that you may not to have space for, or want to share, a full album.


To make these displays, I started with a small block of wood, stolen from my husband's workshop. He'll never miss it. I snagged it while he was gone and cut the pieces myself on his chop saw. Shhh! Don't tell. He insists I'll chop my hand off if he's not there when I use the power tools. Pfftt! Scaredy cat. 

After I sanded and distressed the wood chunks the way I wanted them, I stained them with distress inks. I love the way the wood takes the colors. I didn't do anything special either; just inked the wood the same way I would paper, using my ink applicators. This one is peeled paint. Love this shade of green. Then I painted with two coats of  matte finish Mod Podge.

Once it was completely dry, I drilled a teeeeeeny hole {no bigger then the wire I would be inserting} into the top of the wood block and glued the wire card holder into the hole with Glossy Accents.

Now you're ready to decorate. Do whatever you like. It's like a teeny little blank canvas waiting for your artistic fingers to add life! I added these pretty dogwood blooms I made using the Martha Stewart hydrangea punches, some twine, ribbon, pearls and a butterfly {barely seen at the back on the left}. For my sentiment, I used My Creative Time, Camera Shy stamp set.

For this one, I used the My Creative Time polaroid die to make a small picture frame. You don't have to use a bare naked photo, you could use this idea and put it in a frame first.

I used lots and lots of flowers and pearls on this one. I love that hydrangea punch. It's actually pretty versatile. As you can see, the flowers on each of these photo block are completely different, yet I used the very same punch. Gotta love that. Sort of buried under all the fun goodies is the My Creative Time heart die and teeny tag. The sentiment again is from the Camera Shy stamp set.

I added a tulle blow with a flourish and pearls for extra fun. Isn't this a pretty color on the wood? This one is aged mahogany.

And for the third one, I didn't want to go overboard with the froofy stuff, in case I want to share guy pics. I couldn't imagine a fishing or hunting photo on an all froofed and frilled up photo stand. It just seemed wrong, so I did this one in browns and blues. A little more toward man style than all the flowers and ribbons. LOL

Here I've used the adorable clouds and fall leaves from My Creative Time. I love these for masculine or non-gender specific projects. Who doesn't love nature-y type stuff, right?? For this one I used my all time favorite  distress ink color, walnut stain. I love the sentiment. It's actually only a part of the quote by Chief Seattle, which goes, "Take only memories and leave only footprints." My apologies for not knowing who makes the stamp set. It's one I purchased from someone's stash and there is no packaging or printing anywhere to indicate what company makes it.

It isn't showing up as well as I would like in the photos, but can you see the added little element across the bottom of the wood block? I LOVE how this turned out and in real life it is really really cool! After the Mod Podge was dry I stamped this leafy flourish directly onto the block. Because the surface is then non-impervious, the ink doesn't dry, giving plenty of time to add embossing powder. I was a tad nervous about what the heat might do to the Mod Podge but it didn't seem to bother it at all and the whole look turned out super awesome. It looks almost antique-ish.

Well there you have it. I hope you enjoyed this project. I love it so much I think I might just be making more of them. They are actually a pretty simple little gift if you're looking for Christmas ideas. Thanks for coming by today. Don't forget to check the other designers' projects today as well. They're going to knock your socks off! :)

My Creative Time products used:
Camera Shy stamp set
Heart die
Teeny tag die
Polaroid die
Clouds die
Leaves die
Other:
wood blocks, mod podge, card holder wires
Distress Inks
Glossy Accents
Ribbon, buttons, twine, pearls, tulle
Martha Stewart punch
Quickutz flourish die

17 comments:

  1. Shar they're fantastic! Such a brilliant idea - I can see crafty brides-to-be clamouring to create such items as centrepieces for wedding guest tables. I know I sure would have!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Deb.
    mattdeb(dot)mccleary(at)bigpond(dot)com
    http://debsobsession.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea...they look so professional too! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shar ~ OMG! I LOVE this idea too! I think you decorated them BEUTIFULLY! I LVOE all the details! Just perfectly executed! I thought your post was so funny! Poor hubby ~ missing wood ~ tools used with out his knowledge ~ LOVE it!!! Best of ALL you know how to use them too! Well I LOVe th pictures of you family as well! GREAT idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too love the idea. I think the girls in my craft meet will enjoy making these. I have a husband with a shop also so I will get him to cut the wood for us. Wouldn't want to take the fun away from him.

    craftmethis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! These are just gorgeous!! I love the colors on the distressed wood and you decorated each one beautifully! I wished I lived near you and could get lessons on your flowers!! Great job my super creative friend! Hugs, Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful Shar! Such pretty accents for a table and can be made personal for a gift. You bought the wires pre-bent? I have wire and the hardware might have scraps of lumber...I will be checking this out. Great job. I love it!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The wires I bought all ready to go. They are place card holders, so you can probably find them in with wedding stuff, I would think. I ordered mine online some time ago and this was the perfect opportunity to use them! :) Thank you for always leaving such sweet comments!! :)

      Delete
  7. These game out Beautifully! Men don't know the half of what we women can do with our Girl Power...lol. Great job! Smooches...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty! I love them all. Your right so perfect for Christmas gifts:) How cute would these look on tables for a wedding?:)lol. Thanks for sharing your idea with us, I so want to make some of these, now to find some scraps of wood:)lol.

    Peace, Love, & Cricut Hugs!
    Monica L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW These are GORGEOUS Shar!AWESOME idea,BEAUTIFUL job with all of them!Have a SUPER day!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS!!!! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS & so professional too. I love these and all the perfect little details you added. Hugs - Glora

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful Shar! Love them & love that you used your hubbies power tools...lol
    I wish my hubby had some, better yet, I wish I had my own! There's sooo much I want to do, plus have you seen the pink craftsman tool chest at Sears? Awesome!
    Puppy Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGoodness, I just love these photo holders!! Such a fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The entire family has fallen ill this week, one by one. So, what a WONDERFUL "welcome back" to return to tonight! You brightened my week with these projects; these are just incredible! I love to use things in unorthodox ways...so, I appreciate the inspired use of Mod Podge in place of polyurethane; and Glossy Accents instead of epoxy! I cringed when you took a heat gun to the MP. But, so relieved and astounded by the results of the embossing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man!! So sorry to hear you've all be sick. :( Sure hope it doesn't last and everyone will be feeling tip-top again very soon. Thanks so much for always commenting. It means a lot to me. HUGS!

      Delete
  14. All 3 are beautiful Shar! Good work with the power tools lady! Love and Hugs, Cathryn :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your photo holders turned out great!! They are all beautiful!! I never knew you could stain wood with ink like that! It looks fantastic!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Come join the FB Scrapendipity Studio Crafters group and share your work with us! ♥ ~Shar